Monday, April 1, 2013

Week Five-

What a week! What a whirlwind of a course!  This week in the readings and the videos the point that really stuck in my brain is reforming the school environment.  Seriously, I have been thinking about this for the last year.  I am also involved in a collaborative through my Region Service Center called Transformational Teacher Cadre. Through that cadre, I have learned about project based learning activities, creating a universal design lesson plan, as well as 'thinking outside the box' teacher.  This weeks lesson is about the 'thinking outside the box' facilitator and teacher.

 From what I have learned, I feel that it is through the 'project' the moves the learners to the skills found in our textbooks.  Rather than the teacher teaching from the 'book', it is the teacher presenting the problem or situation for students to solve. As James Paul Gee stated in his video, Big Thinkers:  James Paul Gee on grading with games, '...scientists learn the language of science by doing science...'.  To put our students in the problem situation of a mathematician, will create an environment of learning mathematics.  I cannot wait to rework the entire curriculum for next year!!


Edutopia.org (nd). Big thinkers: James Paul Gee on grading with games. Retrieved from http://www.edutopia.org/digital-generation-james-gee-video

No comments:

Post a Comment